Arthur S. Bahnmuller (1931-2018)
Art Bahnmuller, a US Air Force Veteran, was born in 1931 in New York. He attended public schools and graduated from Bayport High School in 1949 in Long Island, New York. Mr. Bahnmuller earned a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering in 1953 from the University of South Carolina and earned his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1960.
During college, Mr. Bahnmuller was a member of Tau Beta Pi, an Honorary Engineering Fraternity. After graduating in 1953, Mr. Bahnmuller was employed as a Structural Engineer with Goodyear Aircraft Corporation. He joined the US Air Force in 1956 and was honorably discharged with two letters of commendation in 1958. That same year, he began law school, began teaching at the University of South Carolina School of Engineering, and joined the SC National Guard. In 1963, Mr. Bahnmuller was honorably discharged with the rank of Captain.
Mr. Bahnmuller was admitted to the South Carolina Bar in 1960 and began practicing law with Mr. Bryan. In 1962, Mr. Bryan and Mr. Bahnmuller formed a partnership and created the Bryan Law Firm. Mr. Bahnmuller primarily handled personal injury cases but practiced other areas as well.
While Mr. Bahnmuller maintained a thriving practice, he remained very active in the Sumter Community and was a devout fan of the South Carolina Gamecocks.
- South Carolina Bar, 1960
- University of South Carolina, 1953
- University of South Carolina School of Law, 1960
- Special Agent, FBI (1969-1974)
- Sumter County Bar Association (President, 1991-1992)
- South Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association (Member, Board of Governors, 1985-1988)
- Goodyear Aircraft Corporation (Structural Engineer) (1953-1956)
- US Air Force (1956-1958), honorably discharged with two letters of commendation
- USC. School of Engineering, taught 1958-1960
- SC National Guard (1958-1963) – honorably discharged with rank of Captain
- US Air Force Active Duty–Berlin Wall Crisis (approximately nine months beginning December 1, 1961-August, 1962)
- United States Commissioner for the Eastern District of South Carolina for four years (approx. 1964-1968).
- University of South Carolina Board of Trustees
- USC Sumter Associates
- Chairman of the Sumter County Bobby Richardson Day Appreciation Committee (1967)
- United States Commissioner for the Eastern District of South Carolina for four years (approx. 1964-1968)
- Chairman of the Sumter County Election Commission (1964-1977)
- Salvation Army Advisory Board (Chairman 1966-1968, member of Board for approximately nine years
- Chairman of the Sumter County National Foundation
- March of Dimes (approximately ten years)
- Chairman of the Corporate Gifts Division of the 1966 United Fund Drive
- City Zoning Board of Appeals (Member 1965-1968, Chairman 1967-1968)
- Past Board Member of the United Appeal of Sumter County
- Past Board Member of the Sumter County YMCA
- Past Member of Sumter Jaycees
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Sumter Jaycees (1961-1967)
- Past Member of the Sumter County Chamber of Commerce; Member of Sumter Rotary Club (1964-2002)
- Member of U.S.C. Gamecock Club (1966-present)
- Member of the U.S.C. Alumni Association
- President of Millwood Elementary School PTA (1965-1966)
- Basketball coach in the YMCA church league (1962-1970)
Call the Bryan Law Firm today, 803-775-1263 or toll free 1-866-589-8857
Including automobile wrecks, motorcycle wrecks, bicycle wrecks, tractor-trailer wrecks, slip and fall, and wrongful death
Including Family Law Mediation, Circuit Court Mediation and Probate Court Mediation