J. Thomas McElveen, III
Thomas McElveen was born in Sumter, South Carolina. He received his bachelor’s degree in History from Davidson College and his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law. He is admitted to the South Carolina Bar and is also admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina. Thomas joined the Bryan Law firm in 2003.
Thomas has prosecuted cases for the Sumter County Sheriff’s Department and has served as an assistant public defender in Sumter County. His practice focuses primarily on personal injury cases, criminal cases, and general litigation.
In 2012, Thomas was elected to serve District 35 in the South Carolina Senate, which includes portions of Sumter, Kershaw, Richland, and Lee counties. He sits on various Senate committees including Judiciary; Fish, Game and Forestry; Agriculture and Natural Resources; Transportation; and the General Committee.
Thomas is a member of the Sumter Sertoma Club, the Shaw-Sumter Community Council, the Greater Sumter Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, the Jefferson Awards Foundation South Carolina Advisory Board, and The LINK (Sumter-Lee economic development alliance) Board of Directors. He is a member of First Presbyterian Church in Sumter, where he served as a deacon. Thomas is an Honorary Wing Commander of the 20th Fighter Wing at Shaw Air Force Base.
Thomas has received awards and recognition which include the Business Advocate Award from the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, The State newspaper’s “20 Under 40” award for young business leaders in the Midlands, and the 2014 Distinguished Alumnus Award from Wilson Hall.
Thomas and his wife have one daughter.
- South Carolina Bar
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- Davidson College
- University of South Carolina School of Law
- Sumter County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Assistant County Attorney, Sumter County
- Assistant Public Defender, Sumter County
- South Carolina Senate
- Sumter Touchdown Club
- Sumter Sertoma Club
- Shaw-Sumter Community Council
- Greater Sumter Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Jefferson Awards Foundation South Carolina Advisory Board
- The LINK Board of Directors
Areas of Practice: